At the meeting of the Member Council the following has been decided with regard to lineage verification and the DNA tests for dwarfism and hydrocephaly:
1. All approved stallions that are used for breeding have to undergo testing for dwarfism and hydrocephaly.
2. In addition to lineage verification, all mares that are declared Star and all mares with a foal accepted for registration also need to undergo DNA testing for hydrocephaly, dwarfism and the chestnut factor.
What is involved for the mare keeper:
Testing of the mares will begin following the Star declaration/registration of the foal. For these tests hair samples will be used that were taken at the inspection or which the KFPS has received after chipping of the registered foal. The incurred expenses will be invoiced together with inspection fees or registration fees of the foal. Costs may vary subject to the mare´s previous history regarding lineage verification and/or carrier status for hydrocephaly, dwarfism and chestnut factor. Administration fees will not be invoiced because the KFPS highly values the implementation of these tests.
• The mare has neither been tested for lineage verification nor for carrier status of hydrocephaly, dwarfism and chestnut factor; In this case the combined DNA gene tests including lineage verification will be carried out.
• The mare has been tested for lineage verification but nor for carrier status of hydrocephaly, dwarfism and chestnut factor; In this case only the DNA gene tests for hydrocephaly, dwarfism and chestnut factor will be carried out.
• The mare has not been tested for lineage verification but has been tested for carrier status of hydrocephaly, dwarfism and chestnut factor; In this case only the DNA test for lineage verification will be carried out.
Lineage verification comprises testing of the sire and in case a DNA profile of the dam is available of both dam and sire. The registered owner will receive the results by post after a period of around five weeks. Results of the mare´s gene tests will not be published but are available on demand for owners on MY KFPS on the website.
Click here for the order form DNA test